Tuesday 23 April 2013

Debbie's Marathon des Sables Diary 2013 - Part 2!

105km down, 126 still to go.....

So far, Debbie has crossed searing sands, suffered blisters and bruises, and discovered the wonder that is mint tea.

Her adventure continues...

Stage 4 – 75.7km - Taourirt Mouchanne to Oued el Jdaid
(AKA The Big Nasty!)
Slept badly, began with queasy tummy and nausea, slogged the first 36km feeling sick so forcing insufficient intake of water, salt and calories .. temperature 54C - reached Check Point (CP)3 and collapsed in medical tent with heat stroke and dehydration - my lowest point of the week .. took 2 hours to rehydrate enough to get back on my feet - staggered every step of the remaining 40km on verge of D and V. Extremely hard to maintain hydration.


Crossed 10km of sand dunes between CP4 and CP5 around midnight, amazingly twinkly night sky. Buddied with 2 American guys as nervous about my condition and erratic visibility of glow sticks which disappeared amongst the mountainous dunes (biggest height and distance of dunes all week). Navigation to CP5 assisted by Star Trek-esque laser beam pointing into the night sky, visible for 20 miles. Managed hot food at CP5 but collapsed again at CP6 taking refuge in sleeping bag for an hour.

Set off on last 10km around 4am .. quite surreal as shuffling alone, following pin pricks of marker glow sticks - when I felt lonely I could turn and see a tiny trail of head torch lights behind me. Dawn and sunrise were beautiful and the sight of camp made me weep .. finally hobbled over finish line around 7.20am. Learnt later that Laurence Klein, favourite to win ladies, had retired from race at CP4 with heat stroke..

Rest Day
A can of chilled coke - bloody miraculous!!
Rehydrated fully and doubled my salt intake.

Stage 5 – 42.2km- Oued el Jdaid to Erg Znaigui
Feeling so much stronger, temperatures still over 50C but fully hydrated and no nausea. Remained on double dose of salt tablets. Doused my Union Jack with water and draped over my shoulders to help ward off baking heat. Realised I was maintaining quicker pace as didn't recognise those around me. Finally glimpsed the Finish Line, seemed to take forever to reach and so euphoric on crossing the line I ran past Patrick Bauer waiting to present my medal and had to be ushered back .. Tent buddies probably have it about right naming me Dipsy!! Ranking = 483 .. saved my best for last!


Final Ranking – 736

Charity Stage - 8km – Erg Znaigui to Merzouga
8km of sand dunes on Saturday in support of UNICEF, rather weary but enjoyed waving my flag decorated with Luke, Katie, Max and Toms' names .. finally managed to feature in the official photos - the Union Jack is such a distinctive flag!

Debbie will be in the Sarsen office on Friday to collect her cheque for Facing Africa.

1 comment:

  1. It seems adventurous and I like adventures thanks for sharing this entertaining post...




    Android Applications

    ReplyDelete